DUI crimes happen thousands of times across the United States every day, and as a result many people believe that it is not as serious of a crime as it really is. These people are gravely mistaken. DUI is a much more serious crime than many people think, and in all fifty states, the limit to how much alcohol that can be in a person’s bloodstream while driving is only 0.08%, meaning that you don’t even have to be intoxicated in order to be charged with a DUI.
A good Newport Beach DUI Lawyer will understand both sides of the law and as a result fight for your rights very strongly. Hopefully, you’ll also be able to find a DUI lawyer who has worked throughout the state of California during their career and not just in Newport Beach.
Why You Need a DUI Lawyer
- How do you know if you need a DUI lawyer? Is it really worth the expense to hire one? Not every single DUI case requires a lawyer, so you have to look at your circumstances to determine if you do. If you have a history of driving under the influence or if anyone was killed or injured as a result of the accident, then you’ll want to take a look at the DUI lawyers in your area. Or maybe you have a job or career that requires you to have a driver’s license, like a delivery person, a truck driver or a commuter between home and work. Your driver’s license is at risk of being suspended for a definite amount of time if you are convicted of driving under the influence.
- As we have discussed, driving under the influence is not taken lightly, and so the penalties are quite harsh. The penalties for driving under the influence might include:
- Having your driver’s license suspended for up to four months
- Being sent to prison for no more than six months
- Paying fines and fees, which will add up to no less than one thousand dollars if you’re lucky
- Being forced to go to a specified driving under the influence program for a set amount of time
- The fines and penalties are far worse for the second and subsequent offenses. Many people feel that these penalties are not justifiable to them under what happened, and those people are often the ones who end up hiring a DUI lawyer. But again, you need to make sure that you hire a good DUI lawyer, not just the first one you find.
- Your driver’s license may be suspended for up to one full year
- You could be sent to prison for up to a full year
- You could pay fines and fees that are triple the first offense, at no less than three thousand dollars.
- Having to spend an extended amount of time in a driving under the influence program