DUI statistics in America are not great. Every year, there are many thousands of DUI charges and convictions all over the United Sates.
If you become one of these statistics, then it is important to understand why you should immediately contact a good DUI lawyer. The right support is vital if you find yourself in this situation, as there can be many different consequences, some very serious, should you be convicted.
Don’t brush the problem under the carpet; make sure you find a DUI lawyer as soon as possible. The lawyer will have the skills, knowledge and expertise to fight the charges that have been made against you and can get them reduced or even kicked out in some cases.
Let them cut through the red tape of the American legal system and defend you against the charges you are facing.
Why You Need a DUI Lawyer
Even if you are facing a fairly minor DUI charge, it still makes sense to instruct a DUI lawyer.
1) Negotiating through the minefield that is the American legal system is fraught with pitfalls, making it practically impossible for a non-legal member of the public to understand all the processes and rules that they have to follow.
2) Just like life, many DUI cases are not black and white. There are often mitigating circumstances that can influence a court’s decision whether to convict and the type of sentence to hand down. Your lawyer will have the ability to present these circumstances to the court in a clear and matter of a fact manner.
3) Your DUI lawyer will be an expert in plea bargaining, often reducing the charge against you or sometimes even having the charges dropped.
4) Repeat offenders are at a much higher risk of receiving a prison sentence. This means it is even more important to have a good DUI lawyer representing you and fighting your corner, so you receive the least harsh sentence possible.
There are many factors that a court has to consider when considering what sentence to pass down following a DUI conviction. Some of these factors are:-
- Was anyone killed or injured?
- Were there any minors in the vehicle?
- Is this a repeat offense or the first time it has happened?
- Did you have a valid driving license at the time?
- Was there a high blood alcohol level?
If you are found guilty of the charges against you, then the court will pass sentence and decide on the punishment. They have a number of options open to them, which include:-
- Monetary fine
- Prison sentence
- Loss of drivers license
- Community service
- Alcohol education program or DUI school attendance
There is absolutely no need to go through the court system on your own. If you have been charged with a DUI offense, then make sure that you find a good DUI lawyer who will present your defense, plea bargain on your behalf and offer help and guidance through the whole process to conclusion.