Driving under the influence is a very serious crime, and the consequences for it are quite harsh and strict. So why don’t many people take it that seriously? It may be because DUI’s happen tens of thousands of times daily and subsequently people don’t think they are that big of a deal.
The limit to the level of alcohol that is allowed in your bloodstream while driving is only 0.08%, and that’s the rule in all fifty states. This means that you don’t have to be intoxicated in order to be charged with a DUI. And you can become heavily penalized for that.
If you are charged with or suspected of driving under the influence, hiring a Costa Mesa DUI Lawyer will help you find out about both sides of the law and fight for your rights aggressively.
Why You Need a DUI Lawyer
- Hiring any lawyer for nearly any reason is both a personal and a financial decision. You need to look at the circumstances of your situation before making that decision. Hiring a good DUI lawyer is a good idea under the following scenarios:
- If you have a history of driving under the influence.
- If anyone was killed or seriously injured in the accident.
- If your job or career requires you to have a driver’s license (ex. truck driver, delivery person, commuting between home and work), as your driver’s license is under threat of being suspended for a definite amount of time.
- If you cannot afford to pay the fines and fees.
- DUI offenses are separated into first, second and subsequent offenses. The penalties for driving under the influence on the first offense can include, but also not be limited to:
- Having your driver’s license suspended for four months
- Being sent to prison for no six months
- Paying fines and fees totaling one thousand dollars at the minimum
- Being forced to go to a driving under the influence program for a determined amount of time
- The penalties for the second and subsequent offenses are extended versions of the penalties for the first offense. A DUI offense will be considered a second or subsequent offense if it has happened within the past ten years of the last offense. If these penalties seem to harsh to you under the circumstances of what happen, then it’s another reason for why hiring a DUI lawyer to help you make your case in court and navigate through the legal system is a good idea.
- Your driver’s license could be suspended for a full year
- You could be sent to prison for a full year
- You could pay fines and fees that are worth three thousand dollars at the very minimum
- You could have to spend an extended amount of time in a specified driving under the influence program